Australian Women Lawyers, together with its constituent bodies, has prepared a policy paper setting out the steps that are needed to address sexual harassment in the legal profession.
You can download a copy of the policy paper setting out those seven strategies below.
In short, the steps that Australian Women Lawyers recommends are:
- Compulsory Continuing Professional Development Point or compulsory training for all lawyers
- Model guidance of workplace policies
- Enable a process of confidential complaints
- Extending time limits for complaints under the conduct rules to at least 6 years with discretion to open up for historical cases
- Individual lawyers be required to undertake annually that they understand their obligations
- Support your local Women Lawyers and Barristers Associations, join them, pay for staff to be a part of them and engage them in consultations