Australian Women Lawyers Limited ACN 080 044 800 (AWL) was established on 9 September 1997, in Melbourne, Victoria. AWL is incorporated under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) and is a company limited by guarantee.
AWL is governed by a board of directors comprising representatives from each State and Territory women lawyers association. Click here for further details about AWL’s board members.
The objects of AWL are to:
- achieve justice and equality for all women;
- further understanding and support for the legal rights of all women;
- identify, highlight and eradicate discrimination against women inherent in the legal system and in the community generally;
- advance equality for women in the legal profession;
- create and enhance awareness of women’s contribution to the practise and development of law; and
- provide a professional and social network for women lawyers.
AWL’s Patron is the Chief Justice of the High Court of Australia, The Hon Susan Kiefel AC.